Monday, December 23, 2013

Emacs, Org-mode, org-pomodoro, todochiku and Growl

Following my previous post, my first test of the Pomodoro technique was to set up a configuration to use the Pomodoro technique itself :) It took me one pomodoro (25 minutes), so it was quite straightforward.

First, I installed org-pomodoro through the Emacs Lisp Package Archive (ELPA). org-pomodoro is quite simple, you just have to invoke M-x org-pomodoro on a task to start a clock. org-pomodoro automatically stops it after 25 minutes (or any custom duration) and updates your Org task. After 1 pomodoro, your task will look like this:

** TODO Test
   CLOCK: [2013-12-23 lun. 14:55]--[2013-12-23 lun. 15:20] =>  0:25


Then I had to make Emacs able to talk to Growl. For this I used this code, from "Justinhj's Coding Blog". I just had to modify todochiku-command in the Elisp file to link to growlnotify.exe, and to add (require 'todochiku) in my .emacs after putting the Elisp file somewhere in the load-path. Emacs was then able to talk to Growl, with a simple call to the growl function, like this: (growl "Hello" "World"). There even are custom icons.

Finally, I had to modify org-pomodoro so it could send a message when a pomodoro would be finished. org-pomodoro have hooks in its source code:

I just had to add this to my .emacs:

How nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment